Sliced Up Press is looking for short stories involving menopause for its latest horror fiction anthology, Bodies Full of Burning: An Anthology of Menopause-Themed Horror, edited by Nicole M. Wolverton.
Menopause can be hell – so show us your demons, your darkest dreams, bloodiest crimes or scariest transformations. It’s called the change of life, but transitions can be deadly.
What we’re looking for:
- Stories must include menopause as the main plot point
- We welcome and encourage stories from women, BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ authors, as we’re looking for a range of experiences to be represented
- All submissions must be in the horror genre, though we don’t want anything involving rape, bestiality etc.
- All submissions must be original. We will not accept reprints, or stories published elsewhere including on blogs, social media etc.
- Submit your best work in standard manuscript format, as an MS Word .doc or .docx attachment. Anything sent in a different format will be deleted without reply.
- Authors may submit one story maximum for consideration. Do not re-send rejected stories (including those rejected for previous calls to Sliced Up Press anthologies)
- No simultaneous submissions please.
- We are not looking for artwork submissions at this time.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & TERMS:
Please email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following format in the email subject line:
Submission for Bodies Full of Burning: [author’s name] – [story title] – [word count]. (so your email should look like this: Submission for Bodies Full of Burning: My Name – My Story – 1,500 words)
In the body of your email, please include a brief author bio of 3-4 sentences maximum along with any social media links.
Payment: $0.01 per word, plus 1 x paperback and ebook contributor copy.
Length: Minimum 1,000 words, up to 4,000 words maximum. Longer pieces will not be considered.
Deadline for submissions: 1st June 2021 or until filled
Authors will be notified of acceptance or rejection by 30th June 2021 at the latest. Publication is currently planned for September 2021
If you have not heard back by 30th June 2021, your story has been rejected.
Please do not email to enquire after your submission, unless you want to withdraw your story.
No exclusivity will be sought. Authors retain all rights to their works after publication.
Please do not enquire about publication unless it relates to the project announcements shown above.
Sliced Up Press is not open to unsolicited submissions.
Any unsolicited submissions will be rejected without reply.